Digital Catapult is committed to supporting, learning from and collaborating with emerging businesses, researchers and other innovators across the personal data landscape. We are coordinating a series of workshops*, a forum and a showcase** that highlight the innovation opportunities that will be present in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which comes into effect on 25 May 2018. This workshop, facilitated by Digital Catapult Centre and Golant Media Ventures, will be focused on media and publishing, whilst the series of workshops will also take into consideration the UK’s new Data Protection Bill.
Who should attend?
We are inviting a range of startups, scale-ups and established businesses innovating in media and publishing that are:
- Owners of products or platforms, marketing strategists or members of the legal team
- GDPR-compliant and can add to the conversation about their experience
- Working towards compliance and exploring the viability of certain tools and approaches
- Academics and researchers involved in media, publishing, or data protection who can discuss their work on the challenges and opportunities
Also invited are Data Protection Officers or senior management involved in the organisation’s business development and strategy. Persons are limited to a maximum of two per organisation.
The workshop will provide significant opportunities for businesses to transform and improve their products and services by making better use of the increased value exchange that the GDPR enables, thus creating better relationships with consumers.
It will also be used to discuss how compliance with the GDPR sits alongside personalisation. Explore GDPR best practice and enable participants to share learning and assess the potential impact of the aspects in the first paragraph above. And go beyond outlining the intricacies of the regulation and discuss data portability rights and data sharing.
A little more info:
This workshop will be held at the Digital Catapult Centre in London and will be jointly delivered with Golant Media Ventures. Places at each workshop will be limited to 30 attendees.
*Each full-day workshop will focus on particular industries or technology drivers where we see significant potential for innovation opportunity. The digital manufacturing (16 February) workshops will take place in Bradford. The artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) (2 March) and media (15 March) will take place in London.
**The details of the forum & showcase will be published in the near future.
- 9:00: Arrive and Refreshments
- 9:30: Welcome, introductions, overview and objectives of the day
- 9:45: key considerations and principles with a focus on media and Q&A
- 10:35: Beyond compliance: the value intersection of personal data, user relationships, content/product development, personalisation and optimisation
- 11:25: Refreshment break
- 11:40: Challenge provocation: Session with a GDPR-compliant company that has gone through the pain points
- 12:10: What’s already being done, developed (by companies or other bodies): platforms, tools, applications and frameworks
- 13:10: Lunch
- 14:00: Group activity: Where are the gaps and opportunities for you to innovate?
- 15:20: Refreshment break
- 15:30: Feedback from group activity
- 15:50: Application of known research: what’s being developed about challenges opportunities
- 16:50: Summary and next Steps
- 17:00: Finish
Register for this event!