Presenting available resources and funding opportunities for Small and Medium Enterprises within the Future Internet Research and Experimentation EC programme
The main objective of this workshop is to give the opportunity to innovative Small and Medium ICT Businesses and Startups to discover and understand how the Future Internet Research and Experimentation – FIRE – EC Programme can help boosting their innovation efforts and reduce time to market.
The first part of the workshop will provide an introduction to the overall FIRE Programme, present available technologies and solutions, and give the floor to selected SMEs’ reporting on their FIRE-centred success stories. The lunch break will allow people for more informal discussions and networking, while the afternoon will be dedicated to explain how upcoming FIRE initiatives will offer funding opportunities as a unique chance for innovative organizations to join the FIRE and benefit of EC financial support. The final interactive Q&A session will be dedicated to discuss in more details any specific concern or question from the audience with any of the invited speakers.
Innovative Small and Medium Businesses, Startups and Web Entrepreneurs
Incubators, Accelerators and SMEs Clusters
Digital Innovators, Journalists, Social media practitioners
Highlights – FIRE Benefits for SMEs
Thanks to Open Access offered to a variety of testing environments and funding support to join ongoing projects, FIRE allows your innovative Small and Medium Enterprise to:
- Validate innovative prototypes, products and services across a broad range of technologies. A unique chance to:
- Capitalize on your R&D investments.
- Increase your reach and market opportunities.
- Gain additional testing expertise by learning from others’ previous experience.
- Get access to a community of other users – not only technology providers.
- Access a unique combination of different testing environments and technologies (IoT, wireless, cognitive radio, SDN, data services, etc.).
- Unique type of provided resources.
- Usually FREE and offered via Open Access modality
- Best effort access to the tested facilities free of charge for non-commercial use, including basic support, i.e. info from portal, guidelines, tutorials, handbooks, and limited technical support
10:30h – 10:35: Welcome and Agenda, Dr. Monique Calisti (Martel Consulting)
10:35h – 10:45: The Digital Catapult, Maurizio Pilu (Digital Catapult)
10:45h – 11:00: FIRE: A Pan-European Initiative to Support Innovative SMEs, Nikolaos Isaris (European Commission)
11:00h – 11:15: Overview of FIRE Facilities and Activities Across Europe, Hans Schaffers (Aalto University – CKIR, AmpliFIRE Co-ordinator)
Connecting SMEs to the Future Internet: testing facilities and infrastructures session
11:15h – 12:40: The FIRE Offering for SMEs
- FUSION to provide specific support to Innovative SMEs, Roman Kaurson (JCP-Connect)
- How innovative SMEs can benefit from FIRE testbeds and FanTaaStic brokerage services, Milon Gupta (Eurescom)
- Opportunities for SMEs in Fed4FIRE – Federation for Future Internet Research and Experimentation, Halid Hrasnica (Eurescom)
- OneLab: Open for business, Timur Friedman (UPMC)
- Evaluate your wireless solution: success stories in CREW, Carolina Fortuna (Uni. of Ghent)
- FIRE in a Book: Supporting training and education through FIRE, John Domingue (The Open University)
FIRE Success Stories session
12:30h – 13:00: On the business benefits of Future Internet facilities for SMEs
- Experimedia: Using live events to drive SMEs innovation, Alexandru Stan (In-Two)
- CityFlow: Using FIRE Testbed on iMinds Virtual Wall to test software at large scale, Donal Morris (RedZinc)
13:00h – 14:00: Lunch break
Upcoming Opportunities for Innovative SMEs session
14:00h – 15:00: Looking Forward to the FIRE+ Projects
- ORGANICITY, John Lynch (Future Cities Catapult)
- RAWFIE, Blerina Lika (Un. of Athens)
- WISHFUL, Carolina Fortuna (Uni. of Ghent)
- MONROE: A unique testbed for Mobile Broadband Experiments, David Ros (Simula)
- FIESTA, Martin Serrano (National University of Ireland Galway)
Discussion & Conclusion session
15:00h – 15:20: Q&A session: the goal is to give the opportunity to the audience to play an active role in the discussion and provide them with a better understanding of how to engage in deployment of FIRE resources and participation to upcoming Open Calls from FIRE+ Projects.
15:20h – 15:30: Conclusions, Dr. Monique Calisti (Martel Consulting)