Who’s the event for?
This event is designed for for data scientists, startups and innovators, to kick start our latest London Data City | Data Nation Challenge.
Transport and Mobility
In partnership with the Greater London Authority, Transport for London (TfL) and Ford we’ll be setting challenges based around making London’s transport network safer, more efficient and more accessible.
Public Transport Challenge
“How can we accurately identify, filter and characterise transportation delay events across large-scale, dynamic, multi-modal transportation systems?”
Keep Me Moving: Enabling users to make seamless progress towards their destination. People need help to identify breaks in the system and need greater decision making power as to how to continue in case the system breaks and when to abandon their plans for a better option. How can we help users understand the likely impact (i.e. likely time delay) of a transport disruption on their individual journey ?
According to TfL’s 2015 Travel in London Report 8 ‘delays and disruptions to journey time have a greater negative impact on journey experience than positive aspects’. This is particularly true when addressing London’s public transport modes.
Data sources needed: public transport modal and footfall data, transport data, user data, smart device data, delay notification data, social media data device data, delay notification data, social media data
What’s the plan for the event?
- Our transport and mobility theme challenge statements will be launched at a morning event on 12 April 2016 at the Digital Catapult Centre
- We’ll kick start the challenge, set the theme and get your thoughts going
- You’ll be able to find out about Data City | Data Nation – what it is all about and how you can take part
- Meet industry stakeholders and thought leaders from across the transport and mobility sector
- Give you access to the data required for this data challenge.
What we’re asking for
- After the event you’ll have two weeks to create solutions aligned to our theme and challenges
- Innovators will be invited to pitch these solutions to stakeholders and potential investors during a subsequent event at the Digital Catapult Centre on 13 June.
The winning solutions will be selected and announced at a pitch evening 13 June 2016. Winning innovations will receive:
- A prize for the most innovative solutions to each challenge statement
- Access to our Digital Catapult Centre London for hot desks and meeting space
- The opportunity to present your innovative solution to a business critical challenge to an audience of industry experts and stakeholders
- Mentoring to progress relationships and ideation support after each challenge ends.
What is Data City | Data Nation?
Data City | Data Nation will accelerate the development of new products and services for public bodies and businesses operating in London and Singapore. The Digital Catapult has partnered with Singapore-based Newton Circus and its DEX subsidiary, to create a data sandbox that includes public and private data from London and Singapore. Attendees will be able to access this data and sandbox environment to develop solutions aligned to key challenges. Innovators will be set challenges by public and private partners, linked to monthly urban development themes.